Thursday, 19 September 2013

WCA and SP2013 not displaying Office document

Problem: I have setup Office Web Apps (OWA/WAC) 2013 on Windows 2008 R2 and connected it to SP2013.  WAC appears to be working and the hookup from SP2013 went without a hitch.  I try open a word document in WAC and receive the error: "Sorry, there was a problem and we can't open this document. If this happens again, try opening the document in Microsoft Word."

Initial Hypothesis:  I can't find any errors in my event logs and in my ULS log on WAC (C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\OfficeWebApps\Data\Logs\ULS) I opened the latest log and looked for errors, I found couple of "Unexpected" errors that relate to my problem.  The error looks something like: "HttpRequestAsync, (WOPICheckFile,WACSERVER) no response [WebExceptionStatus:NameResolutionFailure, url:http://web-sp2013-uat.demo.dev/_vti_bin/wopi.ashx/files/ef71ad7d...."
...
WOPI CheckFile: Catch-All Failure [exception:Microsoft.Office.Web.Common.EnvironmentAdapters.UnexpectedErrorException: HttpRequest failed

I realised that my DNS entry to web-sp2013-uat.demo.dev is missing on my WAC servers, I added local host entries which corrected the error.

Resolution:  Ensure the DNS entry to the SP2013 web servers has permeated down to all WAC servers, I added a host entry to proof the fix however stick to using DNS as if the IP/resolving changes you would need to go to each OWA/WAC machine and correct the issue.

More Info:
http://wp.ahcheng.com/2013/07/07/office-web-app-with-sharepoint-sorry-there-was-a-problem-and-we-cant-open-this-document/
 

0 comments:

Post a comment